Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What I Think Frames A Face: Defined Eyes

     My first and only (until right now) "What I Think Frames A Face", is my most read blog post, so I thought it was about time I made my next post. This time I chose eyes because to me it is one of the most important parts defining a face, or even makeup.
     
     Eyes are such an important feature to human interaction, so to bring out your eyes and draw attention to your face, define your eyes. I think this varies for different eye shapes, so I'll just touch on how I would define: hooded/shallow to no crease(my eyes), more defined crease, very large eyes, small eyes, droopy eyes. I am in no way saying these eye shapes are "unattractive", I am only saying how I would emphasize them! 


     I will only have demonstration pictures for my hooded/shallow to no crease eyes because...well I only have one pair of eyes...


     Hooded/shallow to no crease eyes, which I have don't have a lot of lid space showing when the eye is open. Which is why I don't tend to line my upper lash line because basically all I would see is the liner and no lid (of course it would be fine if your were trying to do that, which I will show later). I also think this eye shape/my eyes tend to look tired, and to add to that I have horrible under eye circles. To define this eye shape, I would tight line, highlight inner corners, liner waterline with white or flesh-tone liner, and line only the out lower lash line. Here is a demonstration (in pictures) on my eyes, captions will describe!


No eye makeup.

Place a liner or shadow on the tight line where the arrows point. This will create the illusion of darker lashes without being obvious. Even though it is discreet, I feel a black shadow or liner is a bit too harsh, I prefer a dark brown. I used a mixture of the black and brown powders from my LORAC Take a Brow Kit in Dark Brown.

After tight lining.

Apply a shadow lighter than your skin tone on the inner corner of your eyes or where the arrows are pointing. This will bring light to your eyes and awaken your face, it may even make your eyes seem larger. I used MAC Eyeshadow in Dazzlelight.

After highlighting inner corners.

Line your waterline with a white or flesh tone liner. This will make your eyes seem larger and also brighten them. A flesh tone liner will seem less harsh and more natural. I used MAC Kohl Liner in NW15/NC20.

After lining waterline with a white or flesh tone liner.

Smudge shadow you used before on the outer third of your lower lash line. Lining only the outer corner will make your eyes seem larger keeping your inner corner bright. Depending on how you shape the liner, you will have a different effect. I made the outer part thicker and slowly faded it in which gave me a slight doe eye effect. If you want to lift your eye, I would encourage you to bring the shadow up a little more past the outer corner and flick it out upwards.

After smudging shadow on the outer corner. See the effect?


Now for a little extra, you will see how lining my upper lash line basically covers my lid when my eye is opened:


Open eye picture after lining with brown gel liner. I used Sephora Smoky Cream Liner in Cafe.

Closed eye picture of after lining upper lash line.

Finished defining! Wahlah!

And of course, my beloved mascara step that will open up the eyes and awaken the face. Also will add a girly touch. I used Lancome Definicils Precious Cells Mascara.


Before:

After:


     I think I look much more confident and "dressed" after this.It's very simple in reality.

     Now for the next eye shapes I don't really have a way to show you with pictures, so please bear with me and read along!


     For a more defined crease, do all the same steps as above. Then I would take flesh tone eyeshadow that is a couple shades darker than your skin color and run it through the eye hallow. You could use a matte bronzer.
     For very large eyes, it depends if you like your eyes to look very large or you want to slightly make them smaller but also intensify them. If you want to keep your eyes large, so the exact same steps as above, I would smudge the eyeshadow on lower lash line further into the inner corner, maybe inner 2/3? If you want to make your eyes slightly smaller and intensify them, I would line the whole eye. This means, tight line, line the upper lash liner, line the whole water line, and line the whole lower lash liner. I would also take out the flesh tone liner on the water line and the highlighting in the inner corner.
     For small eyes, once again if you love your small eyes, do some regular defining. If you prefer for your eyes to look larger, then highlighting is the key. I would use a shimmery shadow on the inner corner. Light eye shadows on the lid will also keep the eyes bright.
     For droopy eyes, what I would do is create a lift. No plastic surgery or botox! Just some liner. Just go with winged cat liner, and make the angle of the wing higher. The higher it is, the more of a lift. If you want to keep the liner as discreet as possible, then keep the line close to the lash line and the wing short.


     So that's about it, if you have any more questions please leave a comment and check back to see my reply! Of course, it will be my best judgement!


     A defined pair of eyes are strong, bright and confident! And let me end with how I dress up a simple defined eye.


A bright lip! Revlon Colorburst Lipstick in Fuchsia (liking it quite a bit)

Thanks for reading! Byebye. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment